Los Angeles Slip and Fall Attorney
Even though many slip and falls accidents seem minor, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) ranks them as the leading cause of traumatic brain injuries across America. They are also among the leading causes of unintentional deaths for people over the age of 65. Additionally, they account for a majority of work-related injuries in America.
From workers in fancy office blocks to construction site workers, every worker is at risk of a slip, trip, and fall accident. Besides traumatic head injuries, slip and falls accidents usually result in other severe and painful injuries or even death. The accidents may also leave victims in financial distress, especially where they rob them of the ability to work.
With several laws requiring property owners, including employers, to ensure their buildings or premises are free from hazardous conditions, you are entitled to compensation as a victim of a slip and fall accident. While proving negligence against property owners can be challenging, a skilled slip and fall attorney can help you.
If you or a loved one has recently sustained injuries in a Los Angeles slip and fall accident and are anxious about recovering damages, do not worry. Our seasoned Los Angeles slip and fall accident attorneys at Heidari Law Group are committed to helping you get the compensation you deserve for your damages.
Types of Slip and Falls Injuries
Just as there are many ways an individual can slip and fall, there are many types of slip and fall injuries. Even though slip and fall accidents seem minor, with some people even dismissing them as simple embarrassments, they can result in catastrophic injuries. Some common types of slip, trip, or fall injuries include:
- Head and traumatic brain injuries – These are the most common types of injury from slip and fall accidents. A traumatic brain injury may range from a minor concussion to complement mental impairment.
- Broken bones –slip and fall accidents victims, especially older people, are also likely to break their ankle, leg, or arm.
- Fractured bones – Fractured ankles are also common in slip and fall accidents, especially for people over 65.
- Soft tissue injuries (torn ligament or sprained ankle/wrist) – Even where you don’t break a bone in a slip and fall accident, you might end up with a sprained ankle or torn ligament.
- Skin injuries – a slip and fall accident may also leave you with skin injuries where you sustain cuts from close sharp objects or tears or bruises from the pavement or the floor.
- Back and spinal cord injuries – Permanent back injuries can happen with a herniated disk, fractured vertebrae, or nerve damage. A slip and fall accident causes at least 25% of spinal cord injuries.
- Shoulder injuries – A slip and fall accident can also result in a dislocated shoulder or broken shoulder, causing permanent damage that might require surgery to fix.
The majority of these injuries may require lengthy and often expensive medical care that leaves victims in significant financial and emotional distress.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and falls accidents are common and can occur anywhere, including at home, in the office, parking areas, or in a building’s lobby area. These accidents are also common in supermarkets, hotels, construction sites, and other work premises. Typically, slip and falls accidents happen when an individual unexpectedly falls after slipping on a substance or tripping over a foreign object. Some of the most common causes of slip and fall accidents include;
- Slippery and wet surfaces
- Water leaks
- Spilled liquids
- Freshly mopped, waxed, or greasy floors
- Broken floor tiles and damaged wood flooring
- Uneven or damaged stairways
- Inadequate and poor lighting in dim areas
- Exposed electrical cords and wires
- Unguarded ledges
- Obstacles in pathways
- Icy and snowed walking surfaces, including parking lots
- Lack of signage with warnings
- Unsafe construction zones
Legal Liability in a Slip and Fall Accident
Slip and fall accidents fall under the premises liability law. The law requires property owners, employers, and agencies responsible for public areas to provide a safe environment with no hazardous conditions that may lead to slip, trips, and falls in their premises or areas. Consequently, the law holds these parties liable for slip and falls accidents in their premises or areas.
Accordingly, you are entitled to compensation for damages in a slip and fall accident, including medical expenses, rehabilitation expenses, lost wages, lost earning potential, and pain and suffering. However, compensation is not always automatic, with the law requiring you to prove the other party’s fault in a premise liability case.
The doctrine of negligence requires you to prove several elements beyond a reasonable doubt, including that:
- the defendant owned or was managing the property at the time of your accident, and
- the defendant knew or should have been reasonably aware of the hazardous condition, and
- they negligently failed to remove or warn you and other visitors of the hazardous condition, and
- the hazardous condition caused your injuries among other compensable damages
(Fictional) Example of a Los Angeles Slip and Fall Injury Case
Thomas is nursing severe injuries following a dangerous fall caused by spilled water in front of the coffee shop section of a crowded Airport. While the floor area was extremely wet but invisible, there was no caution sign. Despite investigations revealing the spill was there for a long time, none of the airport employees around that area made any effort to clean up the mess.
Thomas’s fall was caused by negligence, and the airport management/owners are potentially liable for damages. Even though such spills are common in and around such busy areas like the coffee shop, airport employees responsible for cleaning and safety negligently failed to check for spills or slippery surfaces.
In addition to his medical bills, Thomas will likely face further financial distress as he will be out of work for the next five months recovering from a torn ACL and medial meniscus. Thomas should seek compensation for damages in a personal injury case against the airport management/owners.
Contact a Los Angeles Slip and Falls Attorney
Slip and fall accidents often result in severe injuries that leave victims in pain and significant financial and emotional distress. Even though most slip and fall accidents are due to another’s negligence, to recover damages, you need to prove that your injuries are a direct result of that party’s negligence.
If you or a loved one has recently suffered injuries in a Los Angeles slip and fall accident, you are probably worried about who is liable for your damages and how to recover compensation. At Heidari Law Group, we have broad experience handling slip and fall cases, and we are here for you. Our skilled and experienced Los Angeles slip and fall accident lawyers will defend your rights while helping you get the compensation you need and deserve for your damages. Contact us today for a free consultation and to learn more about our services.
Get a Free Consultation
If you need a personal injury attorney with a history of success, good communication at all stages of your case, and who will help you manage and settle your case call Abogados Con Experiencia. We will handle your case so that you can heal and put your life back together.
Are we a good fit?
- Have you suffered injuries in an accident that was caused by someone else?
- Does the person who is responsible for these damages have insurance?
- Were there significant injuries that caused hospital visits or missed work?
- Did the accident happen within the last 24 months?
If you answered YES to ALL of the questions, Abogados Con Experiencia may be a good option. Contact us today for a free case evaluation. Our team will lay out your options and answer all of your questions regarding your potential case. It is our job to determine how to best protect your rights and minimize the impact of an injury caused by another’s carelessness thus giving you the ability to focus on recovery.