Los Angeles Car Accident Lawyer
With thousands of Americans sustaining severe injuries and even dying in motor vehicle accidents, car accidents are a leading cause of personal injury and wrongful death claims. Besides the likelihood of a car accident leaving you with life-long physical and emotional injuries, it can cost you thousands of dollars in medical bills, lost wages, vehicle repairs, and other additional expenses.
If you or a loved one were injured in a car accident due to someone else’s negligence, you have the right to compensation. Understandably, the last thing you want to do is negotiate with insurance companies aiming to deny you fair compensation. Accordingly, it is essential to have a skilled and experienced car accident attorney helping you with the personal injury lawsuit.
If you are in Los Angeles, CA, you can contact our experienced Los Angeles car accident lawyers at Heidari Law Group. We are committed to helping you get the compensation you need and deserve as you focus on your recovery.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
With close to 400 miles of highway, Los Angeles is a driving city, and car accidents are common in the city and throughout Southern California. While there are many causes of car accidents, some tend to be more common than others, including:
- Driving Under the Influence. Despite California’s strict DUI laws, drunk driving is one of the leading causes of fatal car accidents in Los Angeles and other major cities across the state.
- Distracted Driving. Distracted driving is another leading cause of fatal car accidents in LA. It involves driving while using the phone, eating/drinking, adjusting the navigation system, tuning the radio, or talking to passengers. The driver may also be distracted by something else on the road, including another road accident or a billboard.
- Reckless Driving. This occurs where a driver acts negligently on the road, including carelessly changing lanes, over-speeding, and running red lights. Reckless driving is a leading cause of some of Los Angeles’s most dangerous car accidents.
- Other Causes. Besides negligent drivers, there are other causes of car accidents in Los Angeles, including poor or hazardous road conditions, defective car parts, and car malfunctions.
Even in situations where the cause of a car accident is clear, it is critical to have a skilled Los Angeles car accident attorney to ensure you get the compensation you deserve.
Common Types of Car Accidents
Depending on the cause of an accident, there are many types of car accidents in Los Angeles. Understanding the type of car accident is critical as it affects your type of injuries, the severity of the injuries, and who is liable for damages. Some of the major types of car accidents in Los Angeles include:
- Rear-end accidents. These involve a car rear-ending or hitting the back of another car. While the rear-end driver is at fault for most of these collisions, the lead driver or another road user could also be at fault. Rear-end collisions usually cause serious injuries to the lead driver, including neck and back injuries.
- T-bone collisions. They involve the front of a car hitting the side of another car. Mostly, the car’s occupants that are hit on the side have little to no protection and are likely to suffer severe or even fatal injuries. T-bone accidents are usually caused by reckless driving, poor road conditions, and defective vehicle parts.
- Head-on collisions. These occur where two cars headed in different directions collide head-on. Even for non-speeding vehicles, head-on collisions are one of the most dangerous car accidents and can result in catastrophic injuries or even death for the parties involved. They are mostly caused by distracted driving, drunk driving, and failure to observe traffic rules.
- Other types of accidents. These include sideswipe accidents, single-vehicle accidents, and vehicle rollovers. While sideswipe accidents involve cars colliding side-to-side, single-vehicle accidents occur where a vehicle crashes into fixed objects near the road, including signposts and billboards. Single vehicle accidents can sometimes result in dangerous car rollover accidents. While most of these accidents are caused by distracted driving, reckless driving, and drunk driving, they can also be due to poor road conditions or bad weather.
Common Car Accident Injuries
Depending on the type of car accident, car accident injuries range from mild to catastrophic. Some of the most common injuries sustained by car accident victims include:
- Brain and other traumatic head injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Severe fractures, sprains, and broken bones
- Amputations and paralysis
- Cuts and bruises
Besides physical injuries, car accident victims are also likely to suffer emotional injuries, including anxiety and PTSD.
Legal liability in a Los Angeles Car Accident
Since car accidents are sudden and random, they can leave you wondering who is legally liable for your damages, including medical bills and lost wages. Even though many car accidents involve negligent driving, and you can recover compensation for damages, you need to prove the at-fault’s driver’s negligence beyond a reasonable doubt.
The crucial elements you need to prove include;
- the at-fault driver owed you a duty of care,
- through their actions, they breached that duty of care, and
- the breach of duty was the direct cause of your injuries and damages
While proving negligence can be easy for some accidents, it’s not straightforward for many others. Essentially, each car accident is unique and should be investigated thoroughly. Additionally, other parties may also be partially to blame for the accident, including government agencies.
However, an experienced and skilled car accident lawyer can help you get fair compensation for your injuries despite the complexity of the claim process.
California Car Accident Laws
Understanding California’s complex car accident laws will help you avoid mistakes that can reduce or deny you compensation altogether. The car accident laws include;
- Statute of limitations. A statute of limitations is a deadline on when you can file a car accident claim. According to California laws, you have two years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury claim and three years for a property damage claim.
- Comparative negligence law. California’s comparative negligence law assigns fault according to each party’s degree of negligence or percentage of fault. Typically, there are some instances where a victim is partially to blame for the car accident. In such cases, the victim’s recoverable damages reduce according to his percentage of fault. For instance, you will receive a reduced compensation amount of $90,000 if you are 10% at fault for an accident where you have suffered $100,000 in damages.
- Fault-based auto insurance laws. California laws allow car accident victims to file claims with the at-fault party’s insurance provider. Accordingly, all drivers must have adequate auto insurance coverage.
What to Do After Being Involved in a Los Angeles Car Accident
Since your injuries are your biggest concern after a car accident, your need to get medical treatment before anything else. However, you or someone else also need to report the accident to the police. Getting medical treatment and calling the police are critical actions as they help support your claim for damages.
While a police report helps identify the at-fault party, a medical report help identifies the severity of your injuries and the extent of the damage. As part of gathering evidence, you should also take pictures of the accident scene and collect the other driver’s insurance and contact information as soon as possible.
However, depending on the severity of your injuries or the type of accident, it is not always possible to take these actions on your own or as soon as possible. A loved one or a witness of the accident can act on your behalf, including calling the police. It is also essential to follow your doctor’s recommendations during recovery. This will not only help with your physical recovery, but it ensures you do not downplay your injuries and consequently reduce your compensation amount.
While dealing with a car accident can be overwhelming, a car accident lawyer can help you navigate the complex process from investigations to managing your treatment. A skilled lawyer will negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf and file a personal injury lawsuit if necessary. It is essential to contact a car accident lawyer as soon as possible after your car crash to avoid insurance companies shortchanging you. Typically, an experienced car accident lawyer knows all the tricks that insurance companies can use to deny you fair compensation.
Contact a Los Angeles Car Accidents Lawyer
Recovering damages in a car accident is complex and can overwhelm you, especially when recovering from injuries from such an accident. Your top worry at the time is probably about who is liable for your injuries and other damages. If you or a loved one has suffered serious injuries in a Los Angeles car accident, don’t worry. Our skilled and experienced Los Angeles car accident lawyers at Heidari Law Group will guide you through the complex process as they help you get the compensation you need and deserve. Contact our offices today for a free consultation and to learn more about our services.
Get a Free Consultation
If you need a personal injury attorney with a history of success, good communication at all stages of your case, and who will help you manage and settle your case call Abogados Con Experiencia. We will handle your case so that you can heal and put your life back together.
Are we a good fit?
- Have you suffered injuries in an accident that was caused by someone else?
- Does the person who is responsible for these damages have insurance?
- Were there significant injuries that caused hospital visits or missed work?
- Did the accident happen within the last 24 months?
If you answered YES to ALL of the questions, Abogados Con Experiencia may be a good option. Contact us today for a free case evaluation. Our team will lay out your options and answer all of your questions regarding your potential case. It is our job to determine how to best protect your rights and minimize the impact of an injury caused by another’s carelessness thus giving you the ability to focus on recovery.